Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A moment to stop and remember my Papa

Yesterday, March 8th would have been my Papa's birthday but this is the second one that he has not been around for. He passed away in February of last year. My Papa was the most biggest, awesomest, most loving, tallest man I have ever known (at least that was always my impression growing up)...My Papa was an amazing man. He married his wife of many many years when they were only teenagers and he worked very hard all of his life to provide for his family. My Papa took great pride in his family (including his grandchildren - especially me). He called me Tweety Bird because I always like to come sit in his lap and watch Tweety Bird cartoons. My Papa could either be found in one of several places at any given time 1) in his recliner in the den (where it was so hot because he liked to have the heat on) 2) in the garden - he grew the best sweet corn that I have ever tasted...nothing like eating your Papa's corn that he worked to grow 3) somewhere on his boat, spending the day fishing 4) at church. I remember that Papa loved playing music...he was amazing on his electric guitars. There were so many family gatherings where all the men would get out their guitars, saxophones, drums, etc and really bring down the house with some good ole music...the walls on the house must have been shaking from all the noise but we all had a great time.

Several of my fondest memories of Papa 1) convincing me that if I put salt on the rabbits tail that was running around the garden, then I could hold the rabbit....little did I konw that he was standing on the porch doubled over in laughter from watching me chase that stupid rabbit with a salt shaker in hand trying my hardest to get to. I ended up heartbroken each time when the rabbit got away. 2) me sitting in his lap and reading Little Red Riding Hood. I had that book memorized and he would change words and I would catch him everytime and I would tell him "no, no Papa...that isn't right." and then I would say it all correctly from memory. 3) sitting in his lap reading the book Crispin and then us making up the song which I still sing at times and now I tear up just thinking about him when I sing it. (Crispin, Crispin. I been thinkin. What a hound dog you would be. If you kept all your milkbones and didn't share any of them with me)...we would sing and he would play his guitar and we would just laugh. 4) sitting at the kitchen table and I always got "stuck" sitting by him and he would pinch me under the table with his finger like toes thus getting me in trouble for screaming 5) sitting in his lap "helping" him play hearts, spades and dominoes. 6) brushing his silver hair with his hand comb 7) his countless magic tricks, I still don't know the secrets to those tricks 8) best of all I remember asking my mom if I could take Papa to school with me for show and tell because he was the best toy that I ever had.

All these memories of a wonderful man, a wonderful Christian and the best Papa EVER....I would love to be able to see his face one more time and tell him that I love him and hear him call me Tweety Bird.

I will never forget going to sit on his bedside the day that he would pass away. I sat there and told him how much I loved him and that so much was made possible because of him, our family was made possible because of him and grandmother. I am a Christian because he took my father to church and trained him up, who then took me to church. I told him that he should be very proud and know that he was leaving the world a better place then he found it just by being him. He lived an amazing life, married an amazing woman, and left a true legacy for people to follow. I am glad I had that last time to say my goodbyes to him. I will see him again one day and I hope that he is looking down on me and happy with what he sees.

I love you Papa!

Forever Your Tweety Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment